Monday, September 8, 2008

hipster?

This is the closest likeness I've found to a woman I had the pleasure of waiting on the other night. She was dining with another older women and two younger girls, maybe in their late teens or early twenties, all definitely from either a distant suburb or somewhere much further away.

After a few niceties and appetizer orders, I came back to the table to be asked if I could be asked a personal question.

"yes, I'm gay", I was thinking.

But the question was a far more surprising one.

"do you want to ask him or should I dear?" this woman asks the younger girl.

"Please don't be offended, but are you a hipster?"

It wasn't that I was offended. But I was already having quite the night and did not know what to say.

I in turn asked her what she would consider a hipster to be. And she responded by saying that I probably have a bike and wear deep-V t-shirts. Mind you, I was wearing a raspberry "deep-v" and I did point out my bike just outside the window, which she in turn pointed out to be the same color as my pen. BUT I'm not a hipster I said. I told her I didn't like the word, and she kept asking me how I pick out my clothes and asking which art school I went to.

Where has she heard this before? It's not that I think the so-called hipster culture isn't across the whole country, but why is she asking me this. I feel like she might as well have asked me if I was a homosexual.

"Oh, look Meg, is that one of those homosexuals I've heard about? Maybe you should ask him? "

"Oh, YOU ASK HIM MOM!"

So I referred them to an article I had recently read in Adbusters, called, "Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization". I actually disagreed with the article quite a bit, found it a bit self-loathing, etc., but I honestly didn't know what to tell them.

Of course, I had a good laugh with everyone I work with over what I was just asked. But it left me asking myself bigger questions. Do I really want to be pegged as belonging in some bullshit faux subculture, so some woman can ask me this, and what am I expected to say? It's not like we believe in ANYTHING. But maybe that's the point. It's all fucking pointless.

I feel like my generation just realizes that everything is pointless, we're completely lost and so is the point.

At least punks have anarchy and yuppy dude bros have that bullshit game where you throw the sacks into that box all day long. I mean, what do I stand for?

This is not to say that if you are say, a straight edge vegan, you are somehow vindicated from it all because you supposedly stand for something. Because when you sign your name with x's next to it with your phone number and give it our 18 year old hostess and tip me .50 cents and when asked about it, threatent to take me outside, I'm sorry, but you're just a douche bag.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey back of my family already! Glad to see you're doing something useful you hipster you.

Edith Bunker said...

oh yea, and just so you know, I OWN bitter.

Anonymous said...

As a 39 year old man all I can say is we are all in categories. Young, old, gay, straight, sucker, douche bag, etc. You cant escape it. I say revel in it. Enjoy it and screw anyone who mocks or judges. They are just a category too.
Oh, and cunts!